Monday, August 29, 2016

Linda Thompson Back In Los Angeles

Linda Thompson Back In Los Angeles After Whirlwind Book Tour

by Don Wilson

Linda Thompson at The Grove in Los Angeles. Photo: Don Wilson

HOLLYWOOD, CA.: August 29, 2016-- Linda Thompson touched down on her home turf in Los Angeles on Sunday after an early flight from Tennessee. This after a whirlwind book promotion tour for her new memoir A Little Thing Called LifeOn Loving Elvis Presley, Bruce Jenner and songs in Between. Linda made television appearances on such programs as "Good Morning America", "Nightline", "Entertainment Tonight", "Access Hollywood" and more, not to mention the local television interviews that she gave and the book signings in Memphis, Nashville and Ridgewood, New Jersey. This writer has been receiving calls from all over the country asking about upcoming book signings with Linda, many came from the Las Vegas area, and it stands to reason, Linda spent a lot of time there with Elvis during his engagements at the Las Vegas Hilton.



The book has been a long time coming, just as Elvis purportedly sang about Linda in a song that he recorded in 1973, "Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming". Elvis many times sang songs that reflected what he was feeling in his life at the time, whether it was good or bad. This song was definitely a more uplifting song than many in her last years. Linda was introduced to Elvis by Presley's friend, George Klein in 1972. After Thompson realized that Elvis was separated from Priscilla, she only then cozied up to him. Their first date was at a movie theater, a double-feature, and yet neither recall the films that were being screened.


Linda's story is not only for Elvis fans, although they seem to have waited the longest time to learn about their relationship directly from Thompson. After her relationship with Elvis ended she married Olympic athlete Bruce Jenner and kept secret for decades his desire to become a woman. She went on to marry record producer David Foster and she penned songs for Barbra Streisand, Kenny Rogers and Whitney Houston among others. Despite all of of this, Linda has a relatively quiet life in Malibu with her family and friends.



Linda Thompson on what she learned from Elvis.

The press questioned Linda equally about her relationship with Elvis Presley and Bruce Jenner. Of course, Jenner has been in the headlines a lot lately after his transformation into Caitlyn. Linda Thompson's appearance at Barnes & Noble was the last stop on this leg of her book tour. Personally, I would have preferred seeing Linda at her Memphis appearance, as I had lived in Memphis for a quarter century of my life and the fact that Memphis is also Linda's hometown. I am sure that the book signings were looser in the Mid-South than trendy West Hollywood. It's a completely different vibe and atmosphere. Although, for Los Angeles, this was a better experience than many book signings that I have attended here.


When I arrived at Barnes & Noble,  I asked where Linda was going to be signing her book, I was directed to the third floor, when I arrived there, via escalator, I was told that the event was indeed going to be held there. However, I would have to go back to the ground floor to purchase a book. So down I went and back up again I came. This would never happen in Memphis. If someone says I am nit picky, so be it, I write what I experience. It was frustrating, and not only to me. I was also handed a flyer which stated "This is a wristband event. Wristbands will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis. Lost or stolen wristbands will not be replaced." Purple wristbands, copper wristbands, each designating placement in the line. So LA. Whatever. I didn't even put mine on at all, it's still in Linda's book as a bookmark. That's Barnes & Noble's policy, of course, not Linda's, in all fairness.


Linda was fashionably late, by only a few minutes. I was thankful for that. Meantime, I was in earshot of her fans and readers, some spoke of Linda solely and what an inspiration she is, others spoke about Linda and Elvis and others spoke about her dedication and support of Bruce/Caitlyn. I was indeed at the right event. Lo and behold, I heard a lady say "Ladies and gentleman please welcome Linda Thompson!" and that they did applause filled the area, as Linda gracefully seem to appear out of nowhere and greet her friends and fans. I saw one gentleman with a red rose, he was waiting in anticipation to meet Thompson and present the rose to her, which he did. Rather than quote Linda, I am sharing video clips from the event so you can see for yourself. 



Linda Thompson's opening remarks.

Linda made time to sign books for all in attendance, personalize them and pose for photos with those who requested to do so. By the time I came to her in line, she had met nearly everyone. I asked Linda if she was tired, she said that she was, but no one could tell it. I know I  would be tired after a tour like she had been on, Linda was everywhere, not only on television, but in print, like an article in People magazine. This article is not a review of the book, this writer is still in the midst of reading Linda's life. But, her book, obviously has been well received.


Besides Linda's appreciative readers in attendance at this event, Linda had her "Mailbu Mafia". (I coined this affectionately for a group of nuturing friends that surround Linda.) I have met many of her friends because I have been at some events with Linda in the past. Unlike Elvis' "Memphis Mafia", these ladies are not on the payroll, as many of Elvis's pals were. The origin of the "Memphis Mafia" being coined is attributed to Hollywood columnist Rona Barrett, because Barrett had seen Elvis and his guys all in sunglasses and mohair suits in the 1960's.

Following the event I ran into Linda as she was posing for photos by a banner outside the Barnes & Noble store (above) just after I arrived, they were taking Linda's banner down, the event was over. I spoke briefly with Linda and she put her shades on and  disappeared with her friends into The Grove.



No comments:

Post a Comment